Lt Navy Seal Michael P Murphy

Run Around the Lake

   19 Brave men lost their lives

Navy SEALs
LT Michael P. Murphy 
SO2 Matthew Axelson 
SO2 Danny Dietz 
SOC Jacques J. Fontan 
SOCS Daniel R. Healy 
LCDR Erik S. Kristensen 
SO1 Jeffery A. Lucas 
LT Michael M. McGreevy, Jr. 
SO2 James E. Suh 
SO1 Jeffrey S. Taylor 
SO2 Shane E. Patton 

160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment
SSG Shamus O. Goare 
CWO3 Corey J. Goodnature 
SGT Kip A. Jacoby 
SFC Marcus V. Muralles 
MSG James W. Ponder III 
MAJ Stephen C. Reich 
SFC Michael L. Russell 
CWO4 Chris J. Scherkenbach

Make a single or monthly donation directly from your bank account, credit card, or Paypal.
Post it, tweet it, share it. The more people you tell, the more help we can receive.

  Operation Red Wings

Can't spend a dime? 
Then, spend some time... helping us help those in need.

Awarded the Medal of Honor.
The Silver Star
Purple Heart
Combat Action Ribbon
Afghanistan Campaign Medal


Local Hero, Michael Murphy, was born and raised on Long Island where he served as a Town of Brookhaven lifeguard at Lake Ronkonkokma. Michael graduated from Penn State University with Honors, and instead of attending Law School, joined the Navy SEALs. He was 29 years old in June 2005, when he perished in a fierce firefight in mountainous terrain along the Afghanistan-Pakistan border in Operation Red Wings. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.

LT Murphy deployed to Afghanistan in April 2005. He was the leader of a four-man SEAL squad that secretly infiltrated into the 9,000 foot Hindu-Kush mountains along the Pakistan border on June 27th. The team was conducting a sensitive mission to capture or kill high-value Taliban target Ahmad Shah, known as Ismail, when ambushed by overwhelming Taliban forces. A fierce fight ensued.
For about 45 minutes, the men fought on, as ammunition ran low. Three SEALs were wounded by gunfire or rocket- propelled grenades. One screamed, “I’m hit!” Murphy yelled back, “We’re all hit! Keep moving!”

LT Murphy climbed to higher ground and into the open to make an electronic call for help. Despite his severe wounds, he completed the call and continued fighting, exhorting his men to escape while he held off their attackers.

A Quick Reaction Force immediately mobilized in a daring daytime mission to reinforce the SEAL squad.
Eight Navy SEALs and eight Army Night Stalker commandos perished when their MH-47 helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade and crashed.

  Lt Navy Seal Michael P. Murphy